This project involves the refurbishment and alterations of the Mayfair Building which is located within the former Smithwicks Brewery site. The building is being refurbished as part of the Abbey Creative Quarter in Kilkenny. The Mayfair Building itself was originally constructed as a ballroom and first opened its doors in 1943. The building was acquired by Smithwicks in 1973 for use as offices, staff canteen and locker room. The building continued to be used by the Brewery until the time of the Brewery closure in 2013.
It is proposed to extend and refurbish the building and surrounding areas to provide a new modern open plan office facility. The project also includes a new public plaza replacing an existing surface level car park and upgrade to the site surrounds to tie in with the environmental improvements on Horse Barrack lane and create a pedestrian friendly entrance to the Abbey Creative Quarter.